Each year, we publish dozens of weddings meant to inspire you, the Weddingbells reader. Out of these amazing celebrations, there are a few that stand out—and for good reason. Whether it be for the bride and groom's outfits, the reception epic details or heartfelt moments, there are weddings that clearly resonate with our readers. We've combed through our real weddings to narrow down the celebrations that have garnered the most views over the past year. Here are the top 10 real weddings of 2019.
1. Olympic Soccer Player Sophie Schmidt’s Rustic Summer Wedding in Greta Valley, New Zealand Sophie, who's a midfielder for the Canadian women's soccer team, married her theatre actor beau Nicholas in a beautiful rustic, minimalist celebration. "We are an easy going couple that spends a lot of time traveling and living out of suitcases, so it was important to make the wedding all about the people, not things," Sophie says. With details including florals from a local lavender farm and a Star Wars cake topper, we loved the simple beauty and personality of these destination nuptials.
2. Jill Lansky’s Modern-Chic Wedding in British Columbia Jill Lansky, fashion and lifestyle influencer and founder of the blog The August Diaries, chose the backdrop of the Okanagan Valley for her vows to longtime love Andrew. One detail we especially loved was Jill's dress, which she found one month after her engagement. "I saw a Calvin Klein ready-to-wear dress on Net-A-Porter about a month after our engagement and ordered it—it was my very first wedding purchase,” Jill explains. "I loved that it was white, clean, simple and timeless. I will be dyeing this one black so I can wear it for years to come—it’s just too good to only wear once!”
3. A Fairy Tale Winter Wedding in Toronto Talia and Nelson's wedding was the whimsical fairy tale they had envisioned from the very beginning. The Crystal Ballroom at the Omni King Edward Hotel in Toronto served as the perfect venue for the festivities, inspiring the blue, white and gold colour palette. Talia's gorgeous light blue dress was designed by Nikki Yassemi of Narces. To create a special experience for their guests, the couple opted for guests to start eating as soon as they arrived at the venue, with the ceremony taking place after about two hours afterward. “Everyone kept saying “You’ve figured this out! Eating before the ceremony was amazing!” Talia says. “There was no yawning during the ceremony, everyone was fed and happy and it went over so well!”
4. Musician Tyler Shaw’s Dreamy, Sophisticated Wedding in Ottawa Musician Tyler Shaw and Alexandra Karolczyk wed in the nation's capital, with the aim of giving their guests a beautiful view of the city. With the celebration taking place at the Westin, the couple were able to do just that, with panoramic views of the sun setting over Ottawa from the hotel's rooftop during the festivities. We loved the fact that the reception started with a traditional Polish blessing of the couple from the bride's parents, and continued into the evening with the couple sharing their first dance to a cover of "Collide" by Howie Day as fireworks exploded over Parliament Hill. Talk about romantic!
5. A Rustic, Laid-Back Barn Wedding in Bradford, Ontario Jacinta and Gillian wanted their wedding to represent "rustic good times," and with clever DIY signage and games such as giant Jenga, the couple accomplished just that. A special detail we loved was the bowtie Gillian wore that her grandfather made from their family tartan. At the end of the event, all the guests were in for a surprise, with the couple helping Gillian's brother propose to his girlfriend!
6. A DIY Boho Wedding in Oak Bay, New Brunswick Rustic meets boho in this east coast wedding, for which bride Joscelyn hand-made most of the decor. “I love to design, do crafts, sew and undertake anything artsy,” Joscelyne says. “I took up the task of creating almost everything myself—right down to sewing the drapes, making the groomsmen’s bow ties, bridesmaids’ bouquets, designing the centrepieces… and the list goes on.” The bride dreamt up her own perfect dress, finding a strapless gown she loved and a seamstress who added sleeves.
7. An Elegant White Spring Wedding At Graydon Hall Manor in Toronto This spring celebration was filled with the most beautiful pastel florals, which fit in perfectly with the couple's garden party theme. Among the details we loved were the bride's two-piece gown, and DIY details made by the bride, Laura, and groom, David, including the laser-cut gold-painted place cards. David also created the seating chart, done in a "Flashback Friday" theme with old photos of their guests!
8. A Vintage Summer Wedding in Bay Bulls, Newfoundland Hand-picked Newfoundland wildflowers adorned this seaside celebration. During the reception, the bride, Kayla, changed in a flannel and jeans, just one of the components that made the wedding more personal. The couple and their families participated in helping set up the tent for the reception, as well as decorating the space with antique furniture and details collected by the bride. The vintage vibe and bride's bouquet and floral crown are just a few details we especially loved.
9. A Vintage Persian Wedding In Vancouver The Vancouver Club was the perfect backdrop for Negar and Soroush's traditional Persian wedding ceremony and reception, with blush and gold details. With an amazing sofreh aghd, a traditional wedding spread that includes nuts, sweets and candelabaras. The bride and groom put special effort into their first dance, a performance that was the result of three months of practice.
10. A Romantic Old Hollywood Wedding in Mississauga, Ontario Bride Brittany and groom Adam were wed on a stunning waterfront estate, with the bride wearing a custom-made dress by close friend Joseph Tassoni that could be converted into two outfits. A glam Palm Springs vibe was the inspiration for the couple's celebration, which featured their own unique ceremony blended with traditional Jewish customs. The photography is stunning and perfectly captured this gorgeous wedding!
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More