Congratulations, you’re engaged! As the excitement of your proposal fades, you might find yourself asking, “Now what?,” but there’s no need to fret. Take a deep breath, enjoy this moment—and then tackle this helpful to-do list!
1. SPREAD THE WORD. Sharing your happy news is one of the best parts of getting engaged. You’ll want to tell your nearest and dearest (parents, siblings) in person or over the phone. And let’s not forget about social media: change your status on Facebook and start tweeting and Instagramming all the romantic details of your proposal!
2. BOOK AN ENGAGEMENT SESSION. By no means is a pre-wedding photography session mandatory, however, it’s a lot of fun, it gives you a chance to get to know your photographer AND you’ll end up with a great reminder of this special time in your lives. In fact, you could use your engagement photos to make an official announcement card.
3. SET THE DATE. Picking a day will make it a lot easier to find a venue. Just remember not to be too rigid—the more flexible you are, the more likely you are to find your dream space (and hopefully save some money, too). Fridays and Sundays tend to be less expensive than Saturdays, for example, and winter is generally less expensive than summer.
4. START A GIFT REGISTRY. It’s important to tackle your gift registry early because many of your loved ones may want to buy you presents to celebrate your engagement (especially if you’re planning a party). As a general rule of thumb, pick two or three different stores, and include items at different price points on your list.
5. PLAN A PARTY. Your engagement party doesn’t have to be extravagant, but it is nice to get all your friends and family together in one place to celebrate. A casual brunch or backyard barbecue could be the perfect way to mark this moment.