Weddingbells’ Annual Reader Survey reveals the most recent wedding trends and facts from Canadian brides getting ready to walk down the aisle.
From January 2014 to March 2014 more than one thousand brides and brides-to-be dished about their impending nuptials. They weighed in on everything from their rings and relationships to honeymoons and the final bill.
Highlights from this year’s survey include:
– There will be an estimated 162,056 weddings in Canada during 2014.
– The average age of Canadian brides is 31.
– December remains the most popular time to get engaged with 18% of men popping the question that month.
– 65% of weddings will occur between June and September. The most popular month to marry in is August, with 25% of weddings taking place that month.
– The expected cost of a wedding in Canada in 2014 is $31,685.
– The average number of wedding guests is 128.
– 86% of brides will buy at least one wedding-related item online.
– 1 in 3 brides are considering a honeymoon that involves adventure travel. That’s up 40% since 2012.
– 15% of Canadian brides are planning on having a destination wedding. The total number of destination weddings has more than doubled since 2009.
– 39% of brides think prenuptial agreements are generally a good idea.
– 39% of brides were also involved in picking out their engagement ring.
– 31% say they would consider wearing a wedding dress in a colour other than white.
Click through the slides below to see more specifics on proposals, planning, registries, honeymoons and how brides are using the web to plan their celebrations.
A national sample of 1,095 currently-engaged female readers participated in the survey. Confidence interval: +/-2.8%, 19 times out of 20.
View our reader survey results from 2013 and see how wedding trends in Canada are changing over the years.