The big day is getting closer and you probably have more parties to attend than you ever imagined. With all these celebrations comes food and temptations that could easily throw you off track. Follow these seven simple tips to help you maintain your focus and discipline:
- Be aware of emotional/stress eating patterns. No amount of chocolate in the world is going to make your future mother-in-law understand that you want pink and not purple flowers at your wedding shower. So, find a way to deal with all these stresses. A good workout would definitely do the trick! Kickboxing always works for me.
- Recognize and prepare for trigger situations. If you can go into a stressful situation with a plan, you are in control, and you will be triumphant. Know that the delicious cookies your aunt is bringing to the shower will also be at the next family gathering, so there’s no need to indulge right now.
- Work out before a function. You will feel fit and healthy and will be less likely to indulge in calorie-laden foods. If you do happen to indulge, and we all do at some point, make sure you get to the gym later that day or early the next day.
- Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It will keep you well hydrated, curb your appetite and keep your hands occupied so that you cannot reach for every tray of snacks that is being passed around.
- Make sure you have eaten a nutritious meal or snack before you go to any of your parties. If you arrive at a function hungry, not having eaten all day, no amount of will power is going to keep you away from all those delicious foods. You have to fuel your body—you need to eat regularly throughout the day!
- Plan ahead. Generally you will know when you will be attending a party/rehearsal dinner etc., so adjust your food intake that day. Eat more fruits and vegetables and cut down on carbohydrates. This way you can still enjoy the event without extending your calorie intake.
- Watch your portions. A taste of dessert is not going to change anything, a bowl or two or three will, however!