Your wedding invitation sets the stage for what’s to come at your celebration. Choosing the right one for you, one that’s beautiful, unique and a fit for your event can be challenging! There is so much stationery out there to choose from.
Like any other industry, there certainly are trends happening in wedding invites, and I went straight to an expert to get the scoop on what’s hot. Sarah Doe, owner of KSarah (ksarah.com), creates amazing invitations and favours and has been featured regularly on the pages of WB. I recently had her create some gorgeous monogrammed cards for me, so while I had her undivided attention, I asked her for a quick hit list of what’s hot and haute in invitations. Here are Sarah’s top five trends:
1. Colour. Whether bold or subtle, colour adds instant personality and impact to your stationery. Small hits of colour have a traditional, formal mood, while bold colour mixed with white or cream accents feels more modern. Your inspiration for the colour you choose can come from anywhere—the season you are getting married in, the geographic location or your venue. Get in the zone by visiting your local paint store and picking up paint swatches to see how colours work with one another.
2. Texture. Patterned papers are everywhere! Like colour, texture can be daring or delicate. Rich damask patterns, chinoiserie and retro designs tantalize our texture taste buds on the pages of home decor magazines—why not let them inspire your stationery? You could be so bold as to have a cherry blossom pattern wrapped around your text, or have the back of your card covered in a rich patterned paper. If you want to make a quieter statement, there are many beautiful textures of paper to choose from—natural cotton to luxurious linen.
3. Monograms. Using your initials to create an emblem or logo creates monograms. Font choices when combining your initials can be simple and clean to produce a contemporary look. Scripted fonts yield a more formal, traditional feeling. Use your monogram as a personal stamp on everything from your invitations and programs, to your menus and thank-you cards.
4. Fashion influence. When brainstorming for your stationery look to other areas of your day. For instance, details from your wedding gown can provide the perfect inspiration for your invitation! A lacy element that supports the Parisian look you were going for; or an antique brooch that provides sparkly inspiration for details like rhinestones or a crystal buckle. You get the idea.
5. Personal touches. Gone are the days of cookie-cutter celebrations, which means basic invites are a don’t, too. Wow your guests with unusual touches that highlight your day and/or speak to your personality. Getting married overseas? Why not include co-ordinated luggage tags for your guests with your invitation. Love to play games? Try a word search or crossword puzzle that guests have to complete in order to collect the wedding details. The only limitations you have are your imagination…and perhaps the talents of your invitation artist!
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More