Event planner and floral designer of New York City-based floral design company, The Daily Blossom, Saundra Parks is a renowned style-maker and has worked for some of the biggest names out there including Oprah, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Mariah Carey, and Barbara Walters. Having created lavish V.I.P. hip hop events to intimate celebrity parties and even special home deliveries, Parks knows what works and what doesn't. Recently I had the chance to ask her to give us her top tips for selecting florals for your big day.
1. Pick a Color. Select one or two vibrant colors and build your wedding around it, including flowers, decor, dresses, etc. Splashes of bright bold colors like hot pink, lime green and orange are “hot” and modern—and they’ll give your special day visual appeal.
2. Mix it Up! To add life and texture to your floral arrangement try using a variety of different flowers within your signature color palette. Or, for a bold monochromatic and easy to assemble look, use a single flower— try a burst of yellow sunflowers, a bunch of hydrangeas in royal purple or a big cluster of hot pink dahlias. All of these strong colors will look great in photographs!
3. Perfect Match. You can liven up arrangements with floral accents like hostas leaves, cactus and viburnum berries in the spring and summer. For fall and winter weddings try liquidambar and coxcomb.
4. Love is in the Air. Arrangements made with garden roses are perfect for couples who want to add a little sweet floral fragrance to their day.
5. Set the Mood. Use colorful votives table tops and hang paper lanterns in your signature colors to create a warm, lively atmosphere. For a more dramatic effect, use glass cylinders of different heights with bold candle pillars for a pop of glowing color.
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More