When it comes to your wedding, there are certain decor pieces that you may just want to DIY yourself instead of renting or buying. Luckily, buying wedding items second-hand is something that is both good for your wallet and the environment. By reusing decor pieces, you are giving them new life and you can even add your own twist to them to really show off your personality.
We spoke with the experts at Value Village for their best tips on finding useful decor items for your wedding that you can either incorporate into your wedding DIYs or use as is. One of the biggest misconceptions about thrifting for your wedding? That you won’t find special, unique items. But with thrifting, there is the likelihood that you will find items that are well-made and have historic value to them—the perfect something old for your big day! Here are some great wedding ideas you can thrift:
1. Assorted glassware. Have your guests choose a unique glass to use, that they can even take home at the end of the night.
2. Antique picture frames. You can use them for your wedding signage, for your seating chart or you can even use them to display cute photos of your and your new spouse throughout your relationship.
3. Vases. Second-hand vases ensure that you won’t have to worry about renting and returning vases at the end of the night, and that your guests can indeed take the centrepieces home with them.
4. Floral china. Plates with unique patterns add some whimsy and a vintage touch to your reception tablescape.
5. Bridal and groom attire. Be aware that not every item will fit perfectly, but will look amazing once they undergo slight alterations or repairs.
6. Eclectic mirrors. Use these for your wedding signage or as decor pieces to add a unique touch to your wedding space.
7. Vintage teacups. Place candles in each as a cool way to bring light and warmth into your venue.
8. Unique jars. Fill them with sweet treats or other edible goods such as honey or olive oil and send them home with your guests as favours.