You are about to enter an amazing new life phase which requires a bit of prep before transitioning from ME to WE. There are things that need to be done, experiences to be had, life to be lived! We have thoughts, and we also crowd sourced some thoughts on our social media platforms to come up with this hit list of 24 things (in no particular order!) we think are essential to tick off the life list before saying “I Do.”
1. Learn to cook.
2. Master a signature dinner party dish
3. Go away for a weekend. Alone.
4. Talk budget. As in yours, his and your collective home one. Also now is the time to get all the money matters on the table, don’t hide any debt!
5. Do a home purge. New life phase equals new stuff.
6. Take a dance lesson. Even if you are a master of the dance floor, it’s a fun thing to do as a couple.
7. Have the kid chat. It’s surprising how many couples aren’t on the same page about this one before saying “I do.’
8. Have the pet chat. Dogs? Cats? Ferrets? Birds? Are you aligned in your pet choices?
9. Adopt a regular self-care routine. Nightly bath? Workout? Meditation sesh? Find your groove and stick to it.
10. Travel together for at least a week or more. Hopefully you still like the person on return! You don’t truly know someone until you travel (or live) with someone!
11. Talk about home expectations and what each of you are going to be responsible for on the day-to-day running of the household. (i.e. laundry, cooking, cleaning, bill paying, outdoor maintenance). This is not a job for one, it’s a team task!
12. Consider marriage classes. Sounds terribly old-fashioned, but can actually be interesting and informative and make you think about what this new life phase means and entails. It’s not easy.
13. Shop for lingerie. For under your gown, your wedding night, your new married life. Little things mean a lot.
14. Have a physical. A healthy life is a happy life.
15. Live apart. Independence is a cornerstone of a healthy relationship and long distance is not easy but in most cases makes the heart grow founder. It’s important for each of you to bring your unique life experiences to the relationship that’s what makes you you!
16. Have lunch with your in-laws-to-be. Just you and them.
17. Have your engagement ring cleaned, plated and the setting checked. You want it looking fresh and fabulous for your wedding day.
18. Buy yourself wedding gifts. It’s important to celebrate yourselves with a special keepsake before the main event.
19. Have a hair and makeup trial AND book a date for that night. Great glam should never be wasted!
20. Keep bank accounts in both your own names but also open a joint one to access for common costs. Also, wedding guests will make cheques out in both your names so you need to be able to cash and stash those!
21. Have girlfriend time. Take time to travel with your girls and enjoy all the fun they bring to your life. BTW, this shouldn’t stop when you are married—girls’ trips are essential for keeping you grounded.
22. Adopt a solid skin regime and routine. Important not just for your wedding day, but for life! Also, SPF daily… just do it!
23. Decide how you will spend the holidays as marrieds. It’s the most stressful time of the year, and your families will want every second you can give them. Think about how you will juggle commitments and make a plan to stick to it.
24. Enjoy your engagement. It’s just the first step on the road of your life journey together!