Photo courtesy Addition Elle.
International plus-size supermodel Ashley Graham was recently in Toronto to launch Addition Elle's Spring 2012 lingerie collection (and flaunt her enviable curves for members of the media!). As soon as she mentioned in passing that she was recently married, we knew we had to get the scoop on her wedding dress shopping experience and honeymoon essentials. No matter what size you are, we guaranteed you'll be inspired by Graham's words of wisdom!
1) WEDDINGBELLS: How was your wedding dress shopping experience? Were you able to find a range of sizes and styles?
ASHLEY GRAHAM: My wedding dress shopping experience was much easier than I imagined it would be. I went to Nebraska, where I'm from, to get an idea of what I wanted. Within two dresses I had made my decision. I had no idea it was going to be that easy. I wasn't looking at the sizes necessarily, all I cared about was the colour and the shape it created.
2) WB: Can you tell us a bit more about your wedding gown? How did you know it was the one? How did your dress make you feel?
AG: My dress is an off-white, almost ivory satin. The top part is almost like a bustier (strapless), and the skirt portion puffed out a bit. It is simple yet elegant. It is not designer and was not expensive at all! I thought I was going to have to pay tons of money because I would be getting a "larger" dress. But in reality, my dress was a size 8---I'm a size 16! My amazing seamstress added panels and worked her magic! Remember that wedding dresses aren't always true to size.
3) WB: Do you have any advice for other "plus-size" brides? What styles do you find most flattering on a curvy body?
AG: Try on EVERY style! You never know what's going to look good on you and accentuate your best assets! I wanted a mermaid-cut dress, but all it did was make my butt look bigger! It's your day, and you should feel pretty and special.
4) WB: A wedding/honeymoon is a great time to start building a lingerie wardrobe. In your opinion, what items of lingerie should every woman own?
AG: Every woman should have at least three staple bras. First, she needs her every day bra that keeps "the girls" lifted and separated. Secondly, she needs a lacy bra to wear out, under a sheer top or on a hot date with her mister. And thirdly, she needs a good sports bra to hold down "the girls" during any sort of physical activity. I can't stand it when I see a woman running and her boobs are flopping everywhere.
5) WB: In terms of packing for your honeymoon, what are your must-have clothing items and accessories?
AG: I say keep it simple. Your honeymoon is meant for you and your honey to chill and relax after all that hard wedding planning. Less is more in this case. (But don't forget your naughty lingerie!)
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More