Expert tips on how to get great skin for your wedding day.
I am the first to admit I’m obsessed with my skin. It’s a bit ridiculous how much I love to cleanse, tone and moisturize my face at the beginning and end of a day, but my skin is my thing and I am bent on having it look as fabulous as possible. Most women I know are equally passionate about their skin, but when it comes to your wedding day, that’s when you have to kick up your daily maintenance regime.
To get the nitty-gritty on W-day skin care, I went straight to the experts at Dermalogica. Holly Sherrad, a senior instructor at Dermalogica’s Toronto training grounds, The International Dermal Institute, says the months, weeks and days leading up to your celebration can certainly add stress to your body contributing to pigmentation, breakouts, dryness and added fine lines. “Nobody wants any of these issues on the most romantic day of their life,” Holly says. To reduce the chances of stressed skin, follow Holly’s five tips:
1. Book regular skin treatments. A professional skin therapist will give you a thorough consultation, skin analysis and treatments to get you on the right path to glowing bridal skin. A key thing to remember: you may experience breakout activity after a skin treatment, which means you need to stop them one week prior to your wedding day.
2. Invest in home care products. Your professional skin therapist will recommend products for you to use at home to ensure you maintain your treatment results. Skin-specific cleansers that are soap-free and pH balanced will remove surface dirt. Toning and moisturizing will help to maintain hydration levels. A mask will help to target specific skin concerns such as comedones (blackheads), pimples and sensitized, dehydrated skin.
3. Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! This is a key step for getting gorgeous skin. Exfoliation removes dull, dead skin cells to reveal healthy, hydrated skin underneath. This process will also treat pigmentation marks and reduce the occurrence of breakouts. A product containing rice bran will act as a microexfoliator and brightener and can be used on a daily basis.
4. Wear SPF, daily! Regular use of SPF on your face will reduce the chance of premature aging, dryness and dehydration. Look for products that do not contain any sensitizing artificial fragrance or pore-clogging artificial colour. Added ingredients such as Vitamin C and E will help to combat the solar rays as they hit your skin and broad-spectrum protection ensures you are combating premature aging.
5. Practice healthy living. A healthy diet will reduce toxins, which can add to stress in the skin and body, and exercise can dramatically reduce stress levels. Also take time for yourself by heading to your local spa or skin centre to have a stress relieving treatment such as reflexology, Chinese acupressure, head massage or back massage.
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More