With all the hustle and bustle of the wedding planning and things to do, sitting still for a makeup trial and having it professionally done the day-of may just not be on your list. DIY-ing your wedding makeup is absolutely an option (Kate Middleton famously did her own for her 2011 royal wedding) and easy to master with a few insider tips—here’s seven of my best beauty tricks to get wedding-day gorgeous.
1. Give Your Skin ALL The Love! Never neglect the basics of great skincare because this is what will create wedding day radiance and glow. Keep your skin hydrated. Treat yourself to some intensive detoxifying facials to draw out impurities and tighten pores. Adopt a solid daily skin regime to put your skin in tip-top condition.
2. Become A Brow Master. Your eyebrows are the most important feature when it comes to shaping your face and creating symmetry. If you have been considering growing them out (and need to!) now is the time to do it. Find a great brow groomer to help keep the grow out on track and also steer you towards the right brow products to perfect yours (ie. pencils, powders, gels).
3. Consider A CC Cream Instead of Foundation. I always tell my destination brides or brides who will be doing their own to consider a CC cream because they literally make your skin flawless and are so easy to use. Lightweight and hydrating a CC cream corrects and covers any skin sins (ie. redness, hyperpigmentation, acne scarring)‘. They are light in texture and have incredible coverage. Once you start using one you won’t be without it ever again!
4. Learn To Love Facial Powders. This is the trick to an everlasting beauty look and it’s all about knowing how to use powder to do it. I love loose powders and mineral powders for setting. Use a lightweight, fluffy eye shadow brush for setting under your eyes and a medium powder brush to set the rest of your face. Loose powders are my favourite thing along with mineral powders! Its easy to apply (*Use a light fluffy shadow brush for under the eyes and a medium face powder to set the rest) The final look will have you looking smooth and silky for your day! (make sure your not using white finishing powder!!)
5. Invest in Cream Eyeshadows. These are amazing because they can act as a primer and an eyeshadow. Smooth across your lids for a wash of colour and if you want to intensify it apply poweder shadow over top. It will help keep powder in place and crease-free.
6. Consider Lip Stains. You want a hydrated, lip look that lasts and I love lip stains because they deliver both of these things. Use a lip mask to moisten lips then fill in with a lip pencil to create the perfect stained look. Top with a lip balm or gloss and you have a perfect (highly kissable!) finish.
7. Spritz It Up. Another key for great looking makeup are sprays. Use a facial mist to hydrate pre-application, then lock in your look with a setting spray.
Nikki Strachan has been working at a professional makeup artist for over 14 years and is currently the key makeup artist for Your Morning, The Social and an instructor at Toronto’s George Brown College with a focus on bridal makeup. She has beautified numerous celebrities and brides and loves to bring a trend-focused eye to all her clients’ beauty looks.
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More