Before you begin to dress shop, there’s one thing you must buy first—your wedding day intimates. Nothing you try on will fit right or make you look fantastic unless you’re wearing the right smalls underneath. Liliana Mann, owner of Toronto’s Linea Intima is a fit expert (a visit to her and you will walk out feeling taller and up to 10 pounds slimmer thanks to your new bra) and we asked her for some insider intel on wedding day lingerie shopping.
“Every bride deserves to feel like a queen on her wedding day and the royal treatment begins with an expert bra-fitting and bridal lingerie consultation,” Mann says. Here are her six shopping tips.
1. The right bra equals the right dress "Begin your dress search with a bra-fitting to help you discover which bra styles are available in your size and best flatter your body," she says. "Buy your bra or bustier before you buy your dress. Build your look from the inside-out, starting with the foundation. Shop for the dress of your dreams, with the confidence that comes from knowing which bra is perfect to wear under it. Steer clear of styles you haven’t worn before and stay within your comfort zone. If you’ve never worn a strapless bra, aren’t comfortable in one or you’re large busted, don’t select a strapless dress. If you don’t like the look of a push-up bra, don’t select a dress that requires one. Take your bridal lingerie to all your dress fittings to ensure it’s altered properly.”
2. Select the best bra style for the job “If you need full support, look for a full coverage bra in an ultra-feminine design. If you need curve enhancement, try an underwire bra to give a fuller, more rounded shape to the décolletage. If you need a strapless bra, the secret to finding the perfect one is to choose a smaller band and a bigger cup size."
3. Bet on a bustier “These all-in-one wonders are both bra and body shaper and provide extra support and comfort under heavy bridal gowns. Added bonus: bustiers are a big part of fashion’s hot retro trend, which means there’s an amazing selection of sexy styles to choose from.”
4. Buy the best underwear your budget allows “Underpants are a small indulgence that can make a big difference to the way you look and feel on your wedding day, so don’t skimp on them, just because they don’t show! This isn’t the time to try a style of panty you’ve never worn before, stick with your usual panty preference, but select a more elaborate fabric or a special design.”
5. Stay in control “Keep your curves in check with whisper-light shapewear that invisibly smooths out any unwanted bumps. Choose the right level of support for the job—the higher the Lycra content, the firmer the support. And remember, never squeeze into shapewear—pay careful attention to choose the correct size. Breathing is important!
6. Say ‘I do’ to stay-ups Ultra sheer, textured or embellished stay-ups add an element of sexy intrigue to the day and don’t interfere with your dress silhouette or other lingerie. White or ivory are the best colour choices and when it comes to sizing don’t buy them too small. When in doubt buy the next size up.”
Get our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with wedding trends, deals and offers.
The LatestSee More