Shopping for your wedding gown is definitely one of life’s most fabulous experiences, but it’s also not a cakewalk. Most brides do not find their dream dress on their first boutique appointment, so the experience can be a bit of an exercise in patience and tenacity. To get you on the road to successful bridal retail detail, I asked Toronto-stylist Tara Williams (she’s works the fashion beat at CBC’s Steven & Chris and styles regularly for Weddingbells) for her top five bridal gown-shopping tips. Williams advice is simple but sage.
1. Play Dress Up. “Wedding dress shopping is your chance to play and have fun. Try on all kinds of styles, even ones you may not think have a lot of hanger appeal—you may surprise yourself!”
2. Shop With a Friend. “Bring a friend (or two) along whose opinion you trust to help you decide. Limit the head count though as an entourage equals too many cooks.”
3. Wear The Right Undergarments. “This is SO important. Whatever you are wearing on your wedding day, bring it: panties, shape wear and bra or corset.”
4. Think Comfort. “Choose a dress that feels like a dream. You will be wearing it for a long time.”
5. Snooze On It. “If you think you’ve found the one, sleep on it for a day or two. If you’re still dreaming about it, it’s the one, If not, keep shopping.”